Thursday, August 28, 2008
It's all about the praise.
Morgan is testing the waters in potty training. She might go potty, she might not. She might go potty several times a day, or not for several days. It's all on her timing. I'm really not in a hurry. I refuse to push, and I know when she's ready it'll happen. For now I really am quite happy with diapers and pull-ups. When the boys potty trained we had a potty treat jar. They would get 1 potty treat if they pee-pee'd and 2 if they pooped...we had several family members who visited that also loved our rewards system. The boys thrived on food bribery. Morgan is a different story...all she needs is praise. She gets so excited about us jumping up and down, clapping, and making a bid deal for her. I introduced the sticker rewards, thinking it might nudge her a little. The first day she sat on the toilet 5 times in about as many minutes just to get those stickers. Then she slacked off. I try to get her to witness Mommy going potty as much as I can, in order to peak her interest. So yesterday after her swimming lessons I had to go pretty bad - something about water - and I had her just sit on the bench outside the stall, because I was in a hurry. As soon as I started going, Morgan started in, "YAY, MOMMY!! GOOD GIRL!" I just laughed, it was so funny! There weren't many women in there, but even if there were I'm sure they've all been through this or will one day. Then last night during Morgan's bathtime she told me she had to go potty, so I swooped her out of the tub and sat her on the toilet. Not only did she go potty - she pooped for the first time in the toilet!! She was so proud of herself, "BIG poopie in the toilet!" She got back in the bath and then said she had to go potty again - and she pooped again! After her bath she got to pick out her 2 stickers and put them on her poster. I know this may not happen again for a long time and I'm okay with that, but it DID happen and I'm SO excited!! The boys are the greatest cheering support for her - we will all gather and jump up and down together. No wonder she responds to this act, wouldn't we all enjoy a crowd cheering for us when we've accomplished our tasks?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wish Adam would go at all. He tells me he wants to use the toilet, but nothing ever comes out. Morgan is doing so good!
ReplyDelete