Sunday, May 11, 2008

Goody Bags, Schmoody Bags!

The boys have what's called AR at school, where they're required to read books and take a computerized test for comprehension in order to earn points. At the end of the year the kids that meet their goals all four quarters, get to participate in the AR party. So last month at my Bunco game night, a PTA member (and neighbor) asked if I'd be interested in helping with the AR party. I have committment issues (committment-phobe) and told her as much. Plus, I envisioned myself trying to do ANYTHING with a wild 2-year old...not a pretty mental picture! So she suggested that I could do it from home, and I told her she could pass my name along - but that I was not committing to ANYTHING. So then I get a call saying, "Oh, so-and-so, said you'd be willing to help out - GREAT!" So I agreed to take a look at her "TO DO" list. On that list was assembling goody bags - I thought, "Oh, ok, how hard can that be." Plus, I've really failed the boys this year by not partaking in many activities (not happy with the school administration, but that's an even longer story)...so I thought that this would at least make the kids proud and make me a not-so-lame mom. Boy, I must be STUPID! I then realized that they needed 500 goody bags! I thought, ok, I can do this. Well, the first night I stewed and stewed over the pre-organization of the assembly line. Finally after about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, I had completed 50 bags! Talk about discouragement! My back was killing me! So then my idea of whipping 100 out a night was canned! Tuesday night I tackled another 50 in about 2 hours. Wednesday night I was bound and determined and had an energy boost - I got 100 done! Wow! Woohoo! The feeling of 2oo bags down and 300 to go was encouraging! Thursday night was Bunco, so I took that nght off. I had it all figured out, I would pop another 100 out Friday night, and maybe get them finished sometime Saturday or Sunday (of Mother's Day weekend). Friday night, because of Morgan's late nap, I was up until 10PM WITH Morgan, so no bags were filled. On Saturday evening (somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30), I started setting up shop again. This time, Kolton came in and asked if he could help. I was totally thrilled at the idea of help, but didn't want him to feel like he had to - it was ME that got ME into this mess. He was determined to help me so that my Mother's Day wouldn't "suck" as he put it! Kaden took a picture of us shortly into the process. We finally finished after 11PM, but we put the remaning 300 goody bags together! Whew! What a good kid - he sure can be sweet when he wants to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.